[R] Randomly remove condition-selected rows from a matrix

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 31 19:00:09 CET 2008

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Guillaume Chapron wrote:

>> I believe this does what you want:
>>
>> m[-sample(which(m[,1]<8 & m[,2]>12),2),]
>>
>> Analysis:
>>
>> Get a boolean vector of rows fitting criteria:
>>    m[,1]<8 & m[,2]>12
>>
>> What are their indexes?
>>    which(...)
>>
>> Choose two among those indexes:
>>     sample(...,2)
>
> Thanks, but this does not seem to always work.
>
> Supposing I sample only one row among the ones matching my criteria. Then
> consider the case where there is just one row matching this criteria. Sure,
> there is no need to sample, but the instruction would still be executed. Then
> if this row index is 15, my instruction becomes which(15,1), and this can

I think you mean 'sample(15,1)', no?

>From ?sample:

---

Details

If x has length 1, is numeric (in the sense of is.numeric) and x >= 1,
sampling takes place from 1:x. Note that this convenience feature may lead
to undesired behaviour when x is of varying length sample(x). See the
resample() example below.

---

So define and use 'resample'.

It often helps to reread help pages and rerun example()s, when things are
not going your way!

HTH,

Chuck