[R] R and Scheme

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Wed Dec 10 06:33:55 CET 2008

Stavros Macrakis <macrakis at alum.mit.edu> [Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 04:59:25AM CET]:
> So I conclude that what is really meant by "R semantics are based on Scheme
> semantics" is "R has functions as first-class citizens and a correct
> implementation of lexical scope, including upwards funarg".

One other thing reminiscient of Lisp is the infix notation (as in "+"(1, 3)),
which the authors have sprinkled with enough syntactic sugar that the users
needn't be bothered with. To the benefit of ubiquity, I'd think.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture