[R] Two envelopes problem

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 26 17:26:24 CEST 2008

On 8/26/2008 9:51 AM, Mark Leeds wrote:
> Duncan: I think I see what you're saying but the strange thing is that if
> you use the utility function log(x) rather than x, then the expected values
> are equal.

I think that's more or less a coincidence.  If I tell you that the two
envelopes contain X and 2X, and I also tell you that X is 1,2,3,4, or 5,
and you open one and observe 10, then you know that X=5 is the content
of the other envelope.  The expected utility of switching is negative
using any increasing utility function.

On the other hand, if we know X is one of 6,7,8,9,10, and you observe a
10, then you know that you got X, so the other envelope contains 2X =
20, and the expected utility is positive.

As Heinz says, the problem does not give enough information to come to a
decision.  The decision *must* depend on the assumed distribution of X,
and the problem statement gives no basis for choosing one.  There are
probably some subjective Bayesians who would assume a particular default
prior in a situation like that, but I wouldn't.

Duncan Murdoch

Somehow, if you are correct and I think you are, then taking the