[R] trying to mimic page 70 of Software for Data Analysis

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 03:50:43 CEST 2008

on 08/17/2008 07:15 PM markleeds at verizon.net wrote:
> I was trying to do what is on page 70 of John Chambers' new book namely
> using trace to invoke the browser by doing
>
> trace(zapsmall, edit = TRUE)
>
> but , typing above at an R prompt, I get
>
>  trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE)
> sh: EMACS: command not found
> Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
>   problem with running editor EMACS

<snip>

Mark,

Take a look at:

  getOption("editor")

and see what it returns.  More than likely "EMACS" from what I see above.

It should be in all lower case. That is 'emacs'.

Take a look at your .Rprofile or perhaps at the 'EDITOR' or "VISUAL'
shell variables to see where you have this set and edit accordingly.
See ?edit for more information.

Enjoy the book. My copy came just before I left for useR! and I have not
had a chance to read it yet.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz