[R] How do I get the parameters out of e1071's svm?

Martin C. Martin martin at martincmartin.com
Wed Apr 9 20:28:26 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a simple, linear decision surface from e1071's svm.
I've run it like this:

svm(as.factor(slow) ~ SLICE.3 + PSGR.7 + SOLUTIONS.6 + DR.10, y,
kernel='linear', cost=1e6, class.weights=c('FALSE'=1, 'TRUE'=10))

According to the docs, kernel='linear' has a kernel u'v.  Since I have 4
independent variables, I'd expect to have four coefficients plus a
threshold, with 4 total degrees of freedom.  But the only numeric
vectors of length 4 in the result are the scaling and center, and those
are done before the fitting so each one has zero mean and unit variance.

I know svms don't need to put every point through the kernel function,
and can even handle infinite dimensional kernels.  But don't they need
to compute the coefficients?

Best,
Martin