[R] intersect filled.contour and polygon

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 1 13:39:37 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Pedro Mardones wrote:

> Dear R users;
>
> Is there any way to intersect a filled contour image and a polygon? My
> problem is that I want to create a kriging map and the boundaries of
> my map are given by the coordinates of the polygon.
>
> So far I can superompose the polygon in the filled.contour image but I
> don't know how to get rid of the contour image outside of the polygon
> boundaries.

Two possibilities seem to be present: define your polygon as a hole inside
the bounding box of the image, with a link between the polygon and the
bounding box, and fill it; or, perhaps better, only make kriging
predictions for the polygon. Since you haven't given a code example, it
isn't obvious how you are making the kriging predictions, but the choice
of the newdata locations ought to decide - and they do not need to be a
full grid, or even a regular grid at all.

If you need to follow this up, please consider using the R-sig-geo list.