[R] update packages with R on Vista: error

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Thu Jun 7 12:00:16 CEST 2007

Dear R-list,

I have encountered the following error message trying to update R packages:

> update.packages(ask='graphics')
Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,
contriburl = contriburl,  :
         'lib' is not writable
Error in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, contriburl
= contriburl,  :
        unable to install packages

I  remember did not have the problem on the last update where R
installed the files then in the Documents/R folder on my user account.
Any ideas how to handle this? I made the directories completely writable
so I do not know where the problem is now (especially since update
worked before...)

Stefan

PS: Tinn-R 1.19.2.3 + R 2.5.0 on Vista Business