[R] Affymetrix data analysis

Sicotte, Hugues Ph.D. Sicotte.Hugues at mayo.edu
Fri Feb 2 01:54:27 CET 2007

Tristan,
I have a soft spot for problems analyzing microarrays with R..

for the memory issue, there have been previous posts to this list..
But here is the answer I gave a few weeks ago.
If you need more memory, you have to move to linux or recompile R for
windows yourself..
.. But you'll still need a computer with more memory.
The long term solution, which we are implementing, is to rewrite the
normalization code so it doesn't
Need to load all those arrays at once.

-- cut previous part of message--
The defaults in R is to play nice and limit your allocation to half
the available RAM. Make sure you have a lot of disk swap space (at least
1G with 2G of RAM) and you can set your memory limit to 2G for R.

See help(memory.size)  and use the memory.limit function

Hugues

P.s. Someone let me use their 16Gig of RAM linux
And I was able to run R-64 bits with "top" showing 6Gigs of RAM
allocated (with suitable --max-mem-size command line parameters at
startup for R).