[R] randomForest() for regression produces offset predictions

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Thu Dec 20 20:58:59 CET 2007

What I see is the predictions being less extreme than the
actual values -- predictions for large actual values are smaller
than the actual, and predictions for small actual values are
larger than the actual.  That makes sense to me.  The object
is to maximize out-of-sample predictive power, not in-sample
predictive power.

Or am I missing something in what you are saying?

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com