[R] creating a database

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Wed Dec 19 02:33:57 CET 2007

> Can a simple matrix be used for this or would it be better and more
> efficient to create an external database to hold the data.  If so,
> should the database be created using C and how would I do this (seeing
> as that I have never programmed in C)?

You don't want to be down at the C level, most likely:  it would be much
more straightforward and programmer-efficient to use one of the available
bindings to one of the available open-source databases.

R has useful / usable bindings to postgresql, sqlite, and mysql, among
many others.

These are, however, more generally useful when you reach the point that
you simply can't manage the volume of your data in R objects or in data
frames. [And, well, you can go a LONG way with intelligently named R
objects.  :-)]

--elijah