[R] how to include bar values in a barplot?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Aug 7 23:37:50 CEST 2007

Generally adding the numbers to a graph accomplishes 2 things:

1) it acts as an admission that your graph is a failure

2) it converts the graph into a poorly laid out table (with a colorful
and distracting background)

In general it is better to find an appropriate graph that does convey
the information that is intended or if a table is more appropriate, then
replace it with a well laid out table (or both).

Remember that the role of tables is to look up specific values and the
role of graphs is to give a good overview.

The books by William Cleveland and Tufte have a lot of good advice on
these issues.

Before asking how to get R to produce a graph that looks like one from a
spreadsheet, you should study:
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html and
some of the links from there.  You may also want to run the following in
R:

> library(fortunes)
> fortune(120)

In general I like OpenOffice, my one main complaint is that when faced
with the decision between doing something right or the same way as
microsoft, they have not always made the right decision.

Hope this gives you something to think about,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at intermountainmail.org