[R] Random Forest

Jim Porzak jporzak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:21:36 CEST 2007

Rubin,

I'm assuming you really do want to do a classification?

check out
?factor

I'm guessing you have coded MMS_ENABLED_HANDSET as 0, 1; or some such
numeric coding.

suggest you do:
dat$MMS_ENABLED_HANDSET <- factor(dat$MMS_ENABLED_HANDSET)
to force your response variable to be a factor (AKA categorical)

And, perhaps, label your levels with something like:
levels(dat$MMS_ENABLED_HANDSET) <- c("Not Enabled", "MMS Enabled")

On 4/23/07, Ruben Feldman <frubeng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi R-wizards,
>
> I ran a random forest on a dataset where the response variable had two
> possible values. It returned a warning telling me that it did regression and
> if that was really what I wanted.
> Does anybody know what is being in terms of the algorithm when it does a
> regression? (the random forest is used as a regression, how does that work?)
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Ruben

HTH,
Jim Porzak