[R] Computing fundamental harmonics from a periodogram

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:51:06 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> hadley wickham wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm trying to finding the fundamental harmonics (ie. peaks in a
> > periodogram) from a time series (extracted from an mp3).  For example,
> > if I look at
> >
> > spectrum(fdeaths, spans = c(3,3))
>

> A heuristical procedure for finding fundamentals of a monophonic sound
> can be found in package tuneR. For a short example how to use it, type:
>
> install.packages("tuneR")
> library(tuneR)
> ?tuneR
>

> For polyphonic sound, I do not know any method that is both sufficiently
> fast (i.e. calculates results for a 1 minute sound in less than a day)
> and accurate.

Thanks Uwe, I have been using tuneR already, but I have been unable to
extract the peaks out of the periodogram.  I'm trying to follow along

@book{wieczorkowska:2005,
	Author = {Wieczorkowska, Alicja and Synak, Piotr and Lewis, Rory and
Ra{\AA}, Zbigniew W.},
	Publisher = {Springer},
	Title = {Extracting Emotions from Music Data},
	Year = {2005}}
http://www.springerlink.com/index/LRC0995XXL5M12X4.pdf

but need the harmonics to calculcate most of the variables they are using.

Hadley