[R] about the determinant of a symmetric compound matrix

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 08:14:46 CEST 2006

If P = projection onto the one dimensional space
spanned by 1, the vector consisting of n 1's, then
using the usual formula for projections we have
P = 11'/1'1 = J/n

and writing I+cJ in terms of P we have:

I+cJ = (I-P) + (cn+1)P

which is an eigen expansion showing that
I+cJ has one eigenvalue of cn+1 and n-1
eigenvalues of 1 so its determinant, being
the product of the eigenvalues, is cn+1.
That is,

det(I+cJ) = cn+1

and we can verify that for n=5 and c=10
which should give cn+1 = 51:

> det(diag(5) + matrix(10, 5, 5))   # 10 * 5 + 1 = 51
[1] 51

Thus det(a(I+cJ)) = a^n (cn+1)