[R] Cardinality constraint

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Sat Oct 21 11:54:52 CEST 2006

To solve the problem you have in general, you will need
something more powerful than 'constrOptim'.  This is called
a mixed integer problem, and arises in several fields including
financial portfolio optimization.

If you really only have 3 variables, then there are only 3
combinations of 2 variables.  So just solve the problem with
each set and pick the best one.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696