[R] CPU or memory

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Nov 9 02:58:28 CET 2006

My understanding is that it doesn't have much to do with 32- vs. 64-bit,
but what the instruction sets of the CPUs.  If I'm not mistaken, at the
same clock speed, a P4 would run slower than PIII simply because P4 does
less per clock-cycle.  Also, I believe for the same architecture, single
core chips are available at higher clock speeds than their multi-core
counterparts.  That's why we recently went for a box with four
single-core Opterons instead of two dual-core ones.

64-bit PCs should be really affordable:  I've seen HP laptops based on
the Turion chip selling below $500US.

Andy

From: John C Frain