[R] Updating R on an old Linux installation (was: Where is package gridBase?)

Jonathan Dushoff dushoff at eno.princeton.edu
Tue Jun 13 07:31:40 CEST 2006

I am running R 2.2.1 on a University-supported linux installation based
on Redhat EL3.  I am sorry that it did not occur to me to mention this
before; I updated R very recently, with the most recent version
available for EL3 at http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/redhat/el3/.

Looking at the gridBase documentation, I find that 2.2.1 is not in fact
the most recent version.  I have now spent hours trying to install 2.3.
No available binary rpms seem to work.  If I try the source code,
configure crashes with a complaint that I do not have X, which is false
(see below).

Do I need a new version of Linux?

Any help is appreciated.

Jonathan

> ./configure

(lots of positive stuff)

checking for X... no
configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not
available