[R] grouping by consecutive integers

Kevin J Emerson kemerson at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 24 17:45:11 CEST 2006

Hello R-helpers!

I have a question concerning extracting sequence information from a
vector.  I have a vector (representing the bins of a time series where
the frequency of occurrences is greater than some threshold) where I
would like to extract the min, median and max of each group of
consecutive numbers.

For Example:

tmp <- c(24,25,29,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,68,69,70,71)

I would like to have the max,min,median of the following groups:

24,25
29
35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,
68,69,70,71

I would like to be able to perform this for many time series so an
automated process would be nice.  I am hoping to use this as a peak
detection protocol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Kevin

-----
-----
Kevin J Emerson
Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
1210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403
USA
kemerson at uoregon.edu