[R] --no-save and --save toggle from inside R? + BATCH stderr

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 03:57:17 CEST 2006

dear R wizards:  is it possible to instruct R to save or no-save from
inside R?  or does this have to be given at invokation on the
command-line?    The same question applies to "--no-restore-data",
although this presumably would have to be decided in a .First()
function or something like it.

on a similar note, I would love a CMD BATCH invokation to output just
one line to stderr at the end of its run which tells me whether the
batch job ended prematurely because of an error.  I know this can be
undesirable if run in another program that refuses output (e.g., a web
browser, where this can cause havoc if issued before the
content-type:), so it would require that some switch like --silent
would suppress this one line summary/error.  This is not urgent---I
can use the R return code to write a wrapper for this facility, but
this might be nice default behavior.  My guess is that most of us
won't mind to see a flag in writing if something went badly wrong.

sincerely,

/iaw