[R] Passing additional paramaters to nlsList(nlme) fit function

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sat Feb 4 21:29:36 CET 2006

Original question...

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> pdf.com> writes:

> 	  The "nlsList" function does NOT have the common ellipsis ("..." )
> argument to support that.
> 	  If it were my problem, I might make a local copy of the "nlsList"
> function and try to modify it to work, at least for my problem.  In this
> case, "nlsList" is merely a call to "UseMethods".  To get beyond that, I
> requested 'methods("nlsList")' with the following result:
>
> 	  nlsList.formula    nlsList.selfStart*

Thanks, Spencer. When I studied the quinModel example (page 380,
Pinheiro/Bates) I noted that it is possible to pass non-varying parameters to
nlme by not including them in the fixed=... parameter. As quite a few examples
in PB used nlsList for the first approximation (and, as far I understand, nlme
does it internally anyway) I had missed this feature of nlme, even if the PB-
book heavily use-stained.

Dieter