[R] negatively skewed data; reflecting

Jon Minton jm540 at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 14:25:06 CEST 2006

I'm new to R myself, but am wondering whether the t() (transpose) function
would work?

> hist(t(Lsoc))


-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of
z.dalton at lancaster.ac.uk
Sent: 23 August 2006 13:08
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] negatively skewed data; reflecting


This problem may be very easy, but I can't think of how to do it.  I have
constructed histograms of various variables in my dataset.  Some of them are
negatively skewed, and hence need data transformations applied.  I know that
you first need to reflect the negatively skewed data and then apply another
transformation such as log, square root etc to bring it towards normailty.
How is it that I reflect data in R?  I'm sorry if this seems a very simple
task, I think it involves going back to Maths GCSE and relearning
reflection, rotation, translation etc!  I have searched the internet, but
cannot come up with anything useful on how to reflect data.

> hist(Lsoc)  #how do I reflect Lsoc in R?

I am grateful for any help regarding this matter, it is just a very small
part of my analysis and doesn't seem worth agonising hours over.  I will
probably kick myself when someone tells me the answer!

Thank you very much,


R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

More information about the R-help mailing list