[R] Can R functions be implented in Matlab

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 00:56:34 CEST 2005

On 12-Oct-05 Madhu Kishore wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am Madhu Kishore a Graduate student at University of Texas at El
> Paso in Electrical Engineering.  I am using R language for Normality
> tests and my doubt is can implements the R functions in Matlab.  I
> expect to hear from you soon.
> Madhu kishore.

Some of the simpler R functions could be implemented in MatLab with
equivalent effect; in particular, anything which depends mainly on
straightforward array (especially matrix and vector) calculations
should not be too difficult. You are also likely to find MatLab
functions which implement many of the computations in various
normality tests directly, so you should not need to rewrite these;
just use the MatLab functions.

However, don't even think of emulating anything extensive from R
in MatLab! Not only would you ever finish your studies, you would
probably never finish you R->MatLab project. They are quite
different programming languages, and even something as basic
as getting MatLab to emulate the R command

  summary(lm(y ~ A*B))

would be a major task if undertaken from scratch.

Why not just use one or the other, whichever best suits your
purpose of the moment?

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861