[R] Inverse autocorrelation function?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Oct 7 03:02:32 CEST 2005

Dear Dr. Hartley:

	  RSiteSearch("Inverse autocorrelation function") produced 11 hits,
none of which seemed to relate to your question.  If you have a
reasonable algorithm for computing the IACF, it might not be difficult
to program in R.  If you have compiled code, e.g., C++ or Fortran, it
might not be difficult to link to it.

	  Googling for "inverse autocorrelation function led me to an article
"On Autoregressive Model Identification" Ette Harrison Etuk
(www.jos.nu/Articles/abstract.asp?article=42113) which compares IACF and
PACF, concluding (a) neither is consistently more powerful than the
other, but "On the whole the partial autocorrelation function exhibits
better performance."

	  Conclusions:

	  (1) R does not seem to have an IACF function, unless the IACF is
identical to something else that R has under a different name.

	  (2) "The R Project for Stastical Computing" is NOT a completed
product but a project perpetually under renewal and extension.  As such,
it has many contributed packages and is happy to accept more.

	  Spencer Graves

David Hartley wrote:

> In time series analysis it is helpful to plot the
> autocorrelation function (ACF), partial
> autocorrelation function (PACF), and the inverse
> autocorrelation function (IACF). The stats library
> provides the ability to compute and plot the ACF and
> PACF, but I cannot find an [R] procedure to compute
> and plot the IACF. Is there one?
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Hartley, PhD

Spencer Graves, PhD