[R] transparent surface in rgl

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 5 20:12:05 CEST 2005

On 10/5/2005 11:33 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 10/5/2005 11:10 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> I think Postscript doesn't support transparency (or at least the version
>>> of Postscript that the rgl.postcript function targets doesn't support
>>> it).  You may have to export a bitmapped format using the rgl.snapshot()
>>> function.  If your original window is very large this may give you good
>>> enough quality.
>>
>> Common PostScript (level 2) does not support either full or partial
>> transparency (and I guess partial transparency is meant here or the
>> surface could just not be plotted).  It would be good to have a rgl.pdf
>> which did.  These days PDF is the `portable PostScript' and since version
>> 1.4 has had alpha-channel supoort.
>>
>> Ref:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_pixels#Transparency_in_PostScript
>>

> The library we use (GL2PS) apparently supports PDF output, and that's
> one of the format options for rgl.postscript(), so maybe we already do
> support that.  I haven't tried it.

I've just checked, and currently transparency isn't supported even with
PDF output.  I tried updating the version of GL2PS and turning on
transparency support, but so far no luck at all.

If anyone wants to follow up on this I think it would be a nice
addition, but otherwise, I think the PNG output is the best we can do.

Duncan Murdoch