Re: [R] SPSS and R – do they like each other?

Thomas Schönhoff tschoenhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:33:39 CET 2005

Hello Micael,

2005/11/21, zorritillito-secure at yahoo.de <zorritillito-secure at yahoo.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how well SPSS and R communicate, because I
> need SPSS but would like to do some data manipulations
> in R. However I am very afraid of never ending
> import-export-complications – especially with all
> those labels and extra information my SPSS files
> contain. My data come from SPSS and have to be
> exported to SPSS again (because I need to produce
> special output tables, which would be hard to generate
> in R).

I've experiencing no big problems when choosing a simple text format
for your data files!
Since I don't know what data specifics characterize your files it is
hard to assure everything will go well. But if you do choose the
appropriate file format there shouldn't be too much problem moving
files to and fro R.

regards

Thomas