[R] install R packages

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri May 20 02:58:51 CEST 2005

> From: Li, Jia
>
> Dear All,
>
> When I tried to install R packages I found this error:
> > library(survival)
> > install.packages("splines")
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning message:
> package splines is in use and will not be installed
>
> But I just opened R, and have used anything yet, how come did
> it say "package splines is in use"?

You didn't just open R.  You loaded the survival package, which depends on
the splines package, so that's loaded as well.  Why would you want to
install that package if you already have it?

The error you get tells you that you can't install over a package that's in
use.  You can see what's loaded by typing search().

Andy