[R] Difference between "tree" and "rpart"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 4 18:04:02 CEST 2005

rpart does much more at C level, including pruning and cross-validation so
can be much faster.

It is also user-extensible.

tree was actually written to track down bugs in the then S implementation,
and so is much closer to the functionality in S.  It is not where I would
have started from.  It is really only available for R to support MASS and
PRNN (my books).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk