[R] pictex graphics device and color

Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:08:06 CEST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 Steve.Rowley at sanofi-aventis.com wrote:

> Is the pictex graphics device known not to support color?

Yes, amongst other settings like lwd and metric info for character output.

If you read the code you will see that the arguments fg and bg are
ignored.  In any case, there is no obligation for a graphics device to
support transparency, and in particular pictex() predates its introduction
into R.

As far as I am aware, pictex is a plain TeX package (that also
more-or-less works in LaTeX: it is barely mentioned in the LaTeX Companion
referred to on the help page, nor covered in any detail in the LaTeX
Graphics Companion), and plain TeX per se does not support colour.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk