[R] RODBC, sqlSave and sqlAppend

Matthew W Nash spjgmwn at iop.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 16:19:26 CET 2005

Hi all,

I am currently trying to read, write and append data between R and MS access
using the RODBC library functions. I have no problems reading in the data
but when using sqlSave and sqlAppend it doesn't seem to work. I have made
sure that all the column names are sensible and there are no gaps etc in the
variables. My call looks like this:

sqlSave(channel,treatlist,test=F)

I've played with various options but what consistently happens is that R
writes a new table (column names a written and sensible variable types are
assigned), but it doesn't actually write any data into it. When I run
sqlAppend there are no error messages, but when I look at the MS access
database nothing has been written. (I always have the database closed when
doing this.)

What am I doing wrong?

Matthew Nash,

Post-Doctoral Research Worker,
GENDEP study,
SGDP, Institute of Psychiatry,
PO82, Room CB.15,
16 De Crespigny Park,
London, SE5 8AF,
United Kingdom

Phone: (+44) 207 848 0805

~
Announcing the 6th MRC SGDP SUMMER SCHOOL 25 -­ 29 July 2005 with courses in
a) Twin model fitting, Mx
b) Microarrays (Affymetrix), gene expression, SNPs
c) Linkage, association and allied methods
http://sgdp.iop.kcl.ac.uk/summerschool/