[R] R: install - Perl dependency problem in Debian/Damn Small Linux

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 10:12:25 CET 2005

On 14 Mar 2005, at 12:46 pm, Stuart Leask wrote:

> (I vaguely recall a suggestion there be a r-debian list, which this
> would be
> appropriate for, but I can't find such a list if it exists. Apologies)
>
> OS: Damn Small Linux 1.0rc1 - a tiny (50MB) debian/knoppix-based distro
>
> I can't apt-get R.
>
> root at ttyp0[dsl]# apt-get  install -testing r-base r-base-core
> r-recommended
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   r-base-core: Depends: perl but it is not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> PROBLEM 1: Perl is certainly installed. However, it may have various
> bits
> removed to save space.
>
> However, if I try to correct this with:
>
> apt-get install perl
>
> I get:

>   perl: depends perl-base (=5.6.1-8.7) but 5.8.0-18 is to be installed
> E: broken packages
>
> I've tried different feeds eg. -testing, but get the same problem.
>
> Has anyone come across this, or have any ideas?

It's the perl upgrade that's the problem, obviously.  Is there any
particular reason why you're using this tiny distribution rather than
just using plain, normal Debian?

Trying to upgrade this with full Debian packages sounds like asking for
a world of pain, especially since the package versions in testing, in
particular, are way ahead of what your existing system is using.  It's
a bit like trying to install Fedora packages on a Red Hat 7.2 box; i.e.
pretty unlikely to work.

You might do better to actually compile R from scratch on your system,
rather than installing the binary packages.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute