[R] LyX and Sweave

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Wed Jul 27 15:28:54 CEST 2005

[...]

>  >> Using an Sweave shell script like Gregor's in combination with
>  >> "lyx -e latex" might do the trick to have direct conversion to PDF
>  >> from the LyX GUI.

>  > Note that this is not the only possible way. As I showed, the other one i.e.
>  > noweb mode in LyX (look in file SweaveNoweb.lyx and its PDF at URL above)
>  > can deal with Sweave in all ways i.e. export or view to any supported formats
>  > by LyX.

> The point was actually not so much about .Stex versus .Snw but that
> you can integrate all into the LyX GUI: For my import above I get a
> menu entry

>	File->Import->Sweave

> in the LyX GUI whhich probably is appealing to GUI-users. The same
> could be done by registering .Snw and modifying the noweb import
> filter accordingly.

> The same should be done for output, such that one can do

> 	File->Export->Sweave+PDF

Nope. That's what I also thought, but I was really amaized when discovered that
there is no need for this. You only need to set up noweb stuff as mentioned at

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/18847>

and use article(noweb) for document style. Then everything (export and view
directly from LyX GUI) just works. As I said I was really surprised with it.
Try with SweaveNoweb.lyx and you will see. This way, one can skip my silly
Sweave.sh ;)

> (or whatever you want to call it) directly from within LyX, rather
> then saving & renaming as you suggest under "Compilation".

> But I'm too much of an Emacs person to really spend time on such
> things ... but I'll be happy to collect information and integrate it
> into the Sweave manual.

I also prefer Emacs this days, and I really did not spend a lot on this LyX
feature, but since it is "so easy" I just couldn't retain to share.

Gregor