[R] ANOVA/aov question

eph1v3t8-rhls6783@mailblocks.com eph1v3t8-rhls6783 at mailblocks.com
Mon Jul 25 22:04:52 CEST 2005

I'm a bit confused about the anova/aov functions.  Both seem to rely on
data models, where the relationship between the dependent variables and
the independent variables can be expressed as a formula.  In what I am
trying to do, all of my independent variables are qualitative, not
quantitative.  For example, for each of two options, "option A" and
"option B" I have collected a set of measurements of the same quantity,
and I wish to do an ANOVA test to see if that factor (actually I have
three factors, with 2 levels each) has a significant influence on the
measured quantity.

Can R be used for this kind of ANOVA, or must the independent variables
be quantitative in nature?  If the answer is that it can be done, and
that it can be done with anova/aov, how do I go about expressing the
"data model" for qualitative factors?

Thanks much,
    --Paul