[R] family

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 08:41:33 CEST 2005

You want to aim to write a family for R, not find the equivalents of S
constructs -- they are different and so exact equivalents do not exist.
In particular, an R family has several components which an S family does
not.

There are lots of example families for you to follow (e.g. see ?family and
the negative binomial families in the MASS package).  Others have found
reading the sources sufficient to write new families.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk