[R] analysing non-normal spatially autocorrelated data

Carsten Dormann carsten.dormann at ufz.de
Wed Jul 20 08:40:46 CEST 2005

Dear fellow R-users,

I wish to analyse a lattice of presence-absence data which are spatially
autocorrelated.

For normally distributed errors I used gls {nlme} with the "appropriate"
corStruct-method.
Is there any method for other families (binomial and poisson)?

A method that look suitable to me as a non-statistician is called gllamm
(generalised linear latent mixed model), by Rabe-Hesketh et al (2001),
available apparently only for Stata.
In R, I found the gamm {Matrix} function doing what I want, but I am
interested in the parameter values of the covariates, using the model
for prediction, hence gamm is no option.
Finally, Dan Bebber posted a similar question to the R-help list in
September 2004 (about using corStruct in glmmPQL), but there is no reply
in the thread (http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/09/3103.html).

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Many thanks,

Carsten