[R] Memory question

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 13:29:25 CEST 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Kenneth Cabrera wrote:

> Thank you Dr. Spencer Graves for your answer.
>
> What kind of matrices? They come form an image of about 3000x5000, and
> I need to generate arround 1024 matrices of the same size, they are not
> sparse
> matrices.
>
> What function can I use to, once generated one matrix, I could save into disk
> and then use the same space for the following, and so on.

You can use either save or .saveRDS/serialize followed by rm() and gc().
You cannot use the same space, but you can free up the space.

Then when you need the data again, load/.readRDS/unserialize can pull the
object back.  (If you arrange this right the object will only go into a
temporary frame and so only be needed one at a time.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk