[R] nlme, MASS and geoRglm for spatial autocorrelation?

Beale, Colin Colin.Beale at rspb.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 13:14:56 CEST 2005

My data are indeed bernoulli and not binomial, as I indicated. The
dataset consists of points (grid refs) that are either locations of
events (animals) or random points (with no animal present). For each
point I have a suite of environmental covariates describing the habitat
at this point. I was anticipating some sort of function that could run:

function(present ~ env1 + env2 + env3 + x + y, correlation =
corSpher(form=~x+y), family = binomial)

where env1 to env3 are the habitat covariates, x & y the grid refs. If
my data were normal, I undertand I would use gls() with exactly this,
but drop the family requirement. As my data are bernoulli this is
clearly not possible, but I was hoping the analysis may be analagous?
The eventual aim is to firstly understand which environmental covariates
are important in determining presence and then to use habitat maps to
identify the areas expected to be most important.

Colin