[R] write.foreign, SPSS on Mac OS X

EJ Nikelski jnikelski at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 13 01:50:11 CEST 2005

Hi all,

     I have jut installed the foreign package (v 0.8-8) on my OS X
machine, and have a bit of a problem writing out a data frame in SPSS
format. Specifically, the code file (the .sps format file) seems to
write 3 unprintable hex values instead of double quotes. For example, in
the following output ...

VALUE LABELS
/
immDel
1 ###1###
  2 ###2###
  3 ###3###

  ... emacs tells me that the left-sided ### are the hex codes E2 80 9C,
on the right we have E2 80 9D. I am supposing that I should be seeing
double-quotes here? Interestingly, the data file, which also contains a
quoted field, writes out the quotes without any problem. Does anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim