[R] getting panel.loess to use updated version of loess.smooth

Benjamin Tyner btyner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:54:15 CEST 2005

I'm updating the loess routines to allow for, among other things,
arbitrary local polynomial degree and number of predictors. For now,
I've given the updated package its own namespace. The trouble is,
panel.loess still calls the original code in package:stats instead of
the new loess package, regardless of whether package:loess or
package:lattice comes first in the search list. If I export panel.loess
from the new package, then it can't see grid.lines anymore.

I've tried using fixInNamespace to change the loess.smooth in
package:stats to point to the updated simpleLoess, but it is locked. At
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/05/0428.html it was suggested
to write a new panel function. However I still need to be able to access
grid.lines, and getFromNamespace("grid.lines","grid") is not the way to
do this.

Any ideas? This seems simple but I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Ben