[R] Boxplot philosophy {was "Boxplot in R"}

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jul 12 00:18:23 CEST 2005

FWIW:

I have been an enthusiastic user of boxplots for decades. Of course, the
issue of how to handle the whiskers ("outliers"] is a valid one, and indeed
sample size related. Dogma is always dangerous. I got to know John Tukey
somewhat (I used to chauffer him to and from meetings with a group of Merck
statisticians), and I,too,think he would have been the first to agree that
some flexibility here is wise.

HOWEVER, the chief advantage of boxplots is their simplicity at displaying
simultaneously and easily **several** important aspects of the data, of
which outliers are probably the most problematic (as they often result in
severe distortion of the plots without careful scaling). Even with dozens of
boxplots, center, scale, and skewness are easy to discern and compare. I
think this would NOT be true of "violin" plots and other more complex
versions -- simplicity can be a virtue.

Finally, a tidbit for boxplot afficianados: how does one detect bimodality
from a boxplot?

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box