[R] Plotting a simple subset

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:24:26 CEST 2005

To be fair none of Introduction to R, ?plot nor the reference card
really cover this without substantial digging.

# test data
x <- 1:10
y <- x*x

plot(x[x > 5], y[x > 5])

# or

plot(y ~ x, subset = x > 5)

# We can have combine conditions like this:

plot(y ~ x, subset = x > 5 & y < 50)

# also if your intention was really set the plot limits rather than
# condition on the data then you can use xlim= and ylim=, e.g.

plot(y ~ x, xlim = c(5, max(x)))

Read over all of these: ?plot, ?plot.formula, ?plot.default, ?"&", ?">",
?c, ?max noting that plot dispatches plot.formula if you specify a formula
in plot and that subset= is an argument to the latter.