[R] Request for help

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Thu Jan 27 13:19:17 CET 2005

If I understand your problem properly, then your matrices have a
known number of zeros and ones in them.  So you can create a
matrix with just this constraint binding via:

mat <- matrix(sample(rep(0:1, c(nzeros, nones))), nr, nc)

That command first generates the appropriate number of zeros and ones
(via 'rep'), then does a random permutation of them (with 'sample') and
finally turns it into a matrix.

You could then test for the row and column constraints, and permute
the sub-matrix of rows and columns that do not obey their constraints.
It could look something like:

mat[bad.rows, bad.cols] <- sample(mat[bad.rows, bad.cols])

where 'bad.rows' and 'bad.cols' are logical vectors stating if the
constraints
are satisfied or not.

You do not need to be a statistician to use R -- far from it.  The
'Guide for the
Unwilling' gives you a  brief introduction.  There is also a lot of
introductory
material in the contributed documentation section of  the R Project website.

It would be good to use a more descriptive subject for messages to R-help.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696