[R] Compressed communication with DB using RMySQL?

David James dj at research.bell-labs.com
Sat Feb 5 19:55:50 CET 2005

Uri wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have a setup where R pulls entries from a MySQL db server.  I wanted
> to know whether the R interface can pull encrypted / compressed data
> from MySQLD.  MySQL supports compressed communication on the server
> side, but I couldn't find any references to such options on the client
> (RMySQL) side.

Right, this is not properly documented (buried in ?mysqlNewConnection).
You can simply add the argumet client.flag = 32 to dbConnect(), e.g.,

   con <- dbConnect(MySQL(), ..., client.flag=32)

The number 32 comes from the mysql_com.h version 4.1.17 header file
#define CLIENT_COMPRESS		32	/* Can use compression protocol */

I'd be curious to know whether you find compressed connections
significantly faster over raw connections.

Hope this helps,

--
David