[R] polynomials REML and ML in nlme

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 2 19:12:37 CET 2005

Spencer Graves wrote:
>  Am I correct that changing the parameterization should NOT change the
> estimates of the variance components, because you are minimizing
> essentially the same objective function over the same subspace? The only
> thing that changes is the logdet(X'WX) term mentioned by I White?
> Moreover, letting X = QR, and using the fact that det(AB) =
> det(A)*det(B) if they are both square, we get det(R'Q'WQR) =
> det(Q'WQ)*det(R)^2. Thus, the change in parameterization affects only R,
> not Q, which means that it can't affect det(Q'WQ).
>
> Is this accurate?
>
> As a simple sanity check, I ran a very simple model with the same fixed
> effects in different parameterizations, and got the same estimates for
> the variance components under REEL but different
> "log-restricted-likelihood" (see below).
>
> Comments?

You are correct - it is only the R part that changes.  If you were to
require an orthonormal parameterization of the fixed effects then the
REML criterion would be invariant with respect to linear parameter
transformations.  That's essentially the same as using the ML deviance
instead of the REML deviance.

Before his untimely death Greg Reinsel was working on likelihood ratio
tests using the REML criterion instead of the likelihood.  You need to
adjust the criterion for the submodel relative to the full model but the
pieces for doing that are sitting around in the lmer object.  I plan to
include that in a future version of the lme4 package.

Meanwhile your idea looks quite interesting.  It may be possible to
define the REML criterion in such a way that it produces the same
estimates as now but does not change with linear transformations of the
fixed effects.