[R] RODBC - connect is failing

Donna-n-Doug Finner stonehusky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:57:19 CET 2005

Thank you for your reply and thanks for the 'fishing tip'.  I thought,
however, that I had debugged my setup - I tested the ODBC connection
to MySQL directly from the ODBC driver setup and connected
successfully.  If R, RODBC, and ODBC are all telling me 'life is
good', any tips on the next suspect to check?

Thanks again for the help.

Doug

Off Topic Comment:  I realize this isn't an R issue but one of the
joys (sic) of building complex systems is that any particular problem
is never any one application's fault.  I always have difficulty
finding someone who is conversant in all (heck, even most) of the
pieces of a particular puzzle to be able to help me connect the dots.
Using my problem as an example, it may turn out the the answer is
sitting in the brain of a user on a PHP or Apache or Windows forum who
just happens to use R but doesn't hang here.  Connecting with that
person is the challenge.  I may have to scrap the
Apache/PHP/MySQL/R/Webby Thing design concept and move through a
series of smaller baby steps - R with lots of manual intervention
using text data files; R via batch processes; R via batch processes
with user Q&A actions; R via...etc etc.  I can see the end point, but
there's just a huge trackless thicket between my current possition and
the finished product and all I have is a pocket knife and a song in my
heart.
End of OT Comment.