[R] squared coherency and cross-spectrum

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Dec 6 05:35:37 CET 2005

	  I haven't seen a reply, so I will comment even though I've never used
"coherency" / "coherence" nor "spectrum".  RSiteSearch("coherence")
produced 13 hits, the third of which looked like it might be relevant to
your question
(http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/37640.html).
RSiteSearch("coherency") produced 12 hits, at least some of which look
like they might help you.  In my cursory review, it looked like at least
one of the "coherence" / "coherency" hits also mentioned the
co-spectrum.  Whether that's true or not, the examples with "?spectrum"
includes the statement, "for multivariate examples see the help for
spec.pgram".  If you still have a question for this listserve after
reviewing these references, PLEASE do read the posting guide!
'www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html'.  I believe that people who
follow more closely that posting guide tend to receive quicker, more
useful answers than those who don't.

	  I hope you won't mind if I now ask you a question:  What can you get
from "coherency" and "co-spectrum" that you can't get as easily from
autocorrelation and partial autocorrelation functions, including the
cross-correlations?

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

Ling Jin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have two time series, each has length 354. I tried to calculate the
> coherency^2 between them, but the value I got is always 1. On a website,
> it says: " Note that if the ensemble averaging were to be omitted, the
> coherency (squared) would be 1, independent of the data". Does any of
> you know how to specify properly in R in order to get more useful
> coherency? The examples in the help do give coherencies that are not 1s,
> but I did not notice any special specification.
>
> Next question is on co-spectrum. When I supply "spectrum" function with
> multiple time series, it only gives me spectrum (smoothed periodogram)
> of individual time series. Is there any way I can get the
> cross-spectrum? I believe R has calculated it, but I could not find in
> the returned values.
>
> Attached is the smoothed periodogram of the two time series.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Ling

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer