[R] Broken links on CRAN

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 22:15:30 CET 2005

On 05-Dec-05 Ted Harding wrote:
> On 05-Dec-05 Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 12/5/2005 3:05 PM, Doran, Harold wrote:
>>> Hi Duncan
>>>
>>> I tried various ones, but try ash.pdf. I was not able to work with
>>> this file. But, when I go to another mirror, I can open this file no
>>> problem.
>>
>> Strange.  I have no problem downloading that file in Firefox, but
>> Internet Explorer declares it to be damaged.
>>
>> I'll let Statlib know about this, but I expect their advice will be
>> "Use Firefox".
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>
> Confirmed -- I was using Firefox too (see very recent mail to list
> regarding a file comparison which showed that Harols was getting
> truncated files). Your within-plot comparison of IE vs FF points
> the finger much better than the between-plots trial Harold and I
> carried out!
>
> Ted.

However ... I just went and did the same thing (ash.pdf from
the lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN mirror) this time using IE-5 on
Windows-98 SE, as opposed to Firefox on Linux, and got the
complete file (100484 bytes just as before) which was opened
successfully in Acrobat Reader, as opposed to the truncated
file (15146 bytes) which Harold downloaded using IE-6 on Win-XP.

So this within-plot comparison now eliminates (?) Firefox vs IE
as a stand-alone factor, but may leave "version of IE" ... ???

Hmmm
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 05-Dec-05                                       Time: 21:15:21