[R] riwish() problem

Kevin Quinn kquinn at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 29 02:34:46 CEST 2005

Dear Ed,

I think the discrepancy you are seeing is due to a change in
parameterization of the inverse Wishart distribution in MCMCpack from
MCMCpack version 0.6-1 to 0.6-2 and later. Starting in 0.6-2 we've
parameterized the inverse Wishart in the same way as in Appendix A of
Gelman, Carlin, Stern, and Rubin, _Bayesian Data Analyis_. In
particular, under this parameterization if W ~ InvWIsh(nu, S) then the
expected value of W is S * (1/(nu-p-1)) where S is a p by p matrix.
This is in the MCMCpack documentation.

In your example below, I think that simply using the inverse of lam in
the call to the new version of riwish() will give you the result you
were expecting.

Hope this helps.

Best,
KQ