Thanks! (Was: Re: [R] R-2.1.0 is released)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 21 11:42:06 CEST 2005

Naji wrote:

> Pr. Ripley
>

>>>Don't forget that universities have to train their students with the
>>>softwares companies are using.
>
> Right 'have' is abusive
>
> Companies want to keep a certain continuity in their service/product.
> There's a kind of inertia switching from their core software (SAS, MATLAB or
> other) to any other software. And therefore, universities won't completely
> leave trainings using those softwares (push and indirect pull 'marketing'
> efforts from software companies and companies (recruiters)).
> For the ST/MT, universities won't dump some leading statistical softwares.
>
> I hope more and more universities will teach statistics using R or
> equivalent (if it exists). They will 'produce' people more likely
> - to know what they are processing (they have to understand the underlying
> algorithm, weakness and strength)
> - to adopt the best approach (versus the one implemented or to wait until
> the approach is implemented)
> And as R is 'free', there is no discrimination or financial barrier.
>
> My wish is to see a clear distinction between 'learning statistics' ( a
> must) and 'using commercial software' (optional). I agree with your point of
> view that the latest is not the university objective (still the question
> about preparing for the labor market, which is another debate).

Nice, nice, but some departments cannot afford the fees for some
software products, most notably in Dortmund the fees for a certain
product which is not unlike R - while (for our budget) SAS and SPSS are
expensive but still affordable.

 From my point of view, if companies want to get people that are well
prepared for a certain software product and/or for a software product
they want to sell themselves, they cannot expect the universities to pay
for these software products.

Another point:
We are teaching stuff like mathematics, statistics, statistical
programming and so on, but we cannot teach each possible software
product - we also don't teach how to analyze each possible dataset that
might find its way to the statistician's desk, we just use the iris data
and Anscombe's quartet. ;-)

Uwe Ligges