[R] Getting subsets of a data frame

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 18:31:30 CEST 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Perhaps Fernando will also note that is documented in ?"[.data.frame",
> a slightly more appropriate reference than Bill's.
>
> It would be a good idea to read a good account of R's indexing: Bill Venables
> and I know of a couple you will find in the R FAQ.

BTW,

sw <- swiss
sw[1,,drop=TRUE] *is* a list (not as claimed, but as documented)
sw[1, ]          is a data frame
sw[, 1]          is a numeric vector.

I should have pointed out that "[.data.frame" is in the See Also of Bill's
reference.

BTW to Andy: a list is a vector, and Kurt and I recently have been trying
to correct documentation that means `atomic vector' when it says `vector'.
(Long ago lists in R were pairlists and not vectors.)

> is.vector(list(a=1))
[1] TRUE