[R] off-topic question: Latex and R in industries

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 22:40:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:56:59AM -0700, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, roger bos wrote:
> >Insightful will come in and give a company presentation.  Who wants to
> >volunteer to come into my company and demo R for my manager?  I only
> >learned about R a year ago when a friend of mine told me about it.
> >The real question is, how to get more exposuRe?
> >

> The other real question is "Why?".  I can see the motivation of people who
> want to use R and need to convince their management that it is safe, but
> inflicting R on people who haven't heard of it and are perfectly happy
> that way seems unnecessary.  What would be the benefit?

Of course, it follows from the assumption of perfect happiness without
R that there's no point in forcibly selling R to them. I suspect that the
salesforces behind commercial software are not exclusively driven by such
reason, however...

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |